Monday, 1 March 2010


Just over two weeks ago, I set out to enter the Ravelympics. I picked out my projects, which were to be a challenge for me to complete, wound the yarn, and got set. I had 4 projects to complete - a hat - Woolly Wormhead's Marina (I have never ever managed the stitch pattern used in the hat before), two pairs of Jorid Linvik's Cat Socks (I have never knit colourwork socks before) and Roro socks (never knit toe-up).
Full of enthusiasm, I managed the hat in one day:

It was a straightforward knit - Ruth's patterns always are.

I used Babylonglegs British Merino Aran, which was a dream to knit with.

The hat is knitted on straight needles, with short row shaping, and then finally, the last row is grafted to the cast on. Very very clever.

I already have Ruth's book on pre-order, and have another skein of Sarah's yarn ready to go. The hat I will be knitting is Medici, from Twisted Woolly Toppers, which is the March KAL on the Woolly Wormhead Ravelry Group.

So - onto the colourwork.

Count 'em - that's 2 pairs of socks!

The blue pair is for Jon, the pink pair for me. This was a fantastic pattern to knit - I love the details in this pattern - the fishbones and the paws.

I used Dalegarn Falk for this, which is a DK yarn. Despite this, and using 3mm needles, an old friend resurfaced about a week ago - I started to get a bit uncomfortable in the wrist, and even though I slowed down the knitting, I ended up back in the splint with pins and needles last week. Ah well.

Unfortunately, that meant that Roro were abandoned for now.

I'm still pretty pleased, though!

In pre-Ravelympics news, I completed another Woolly Wormhead hat on Valentine's day - this was Weekender, from Yarn Forward 22, and I used Jon's Natural Born Dyers Falkland Chunky yarn, colourway Ice (there is some in the shop!)

So - busy busy!