Monday 17 September 2007

Thordis, Hanami and Finland...

This will teach me to update my blog regularly or pay the price with a long blog post... I have finished knitting the first of three Hanami Stoles, designed by Melanie. This one is knitted for a birthday present, and requires blocking out properly. I've used Colourmart cashmere for this, in Honeysuckle, a soft, warm pinky-peach shade, and it knitted itself. I've got plenty of the cone left for a second one (for a Christmas present) and will be knitting a third, for myself, in Posh Yarns Eva 2 Ply in Petal. All will be beaded on the cast on edge, as well. This picture is of the Cherry Blossom pattern:


And this is the Basket Weave.


The pattern begins with a beaded cast on, reminscent of light spring raindrops, and then moves into the Basket Weave, which is taken from a traditional Japanese quilting pattern, symbolising friendship and family. It then transitions into a pattern of Cherry Blossom falling. Hanami is the Japanese term for watching the Cherry Trees shed their blossom.


Next, I have finished the Thordis (Icelandic) Shawl. The pattern was from Piecework magazine, first published in 1996 by Interweave press, and was found by a member of the MS3 group, and has been Knit A Long-ed by a couple of Yahoo groups. Interweave kindly released the pattern via their Knitting Daily newsletter, and Sarah Siegel made up kits of Jaggerspun Maine Line. It was a very quick knit - just under two weeks from casting on to finishing the crocheted edge, and used a variety of lace stitches. I've been busy at work these past two weeks, with trips up to Aberdeen and Finland, so it's not been a time where I could dedicate myself to knitting too much, but I found the shawl very easy to pick up and put down. And I cannot recommend Sarah's Yarns enough - prices are very keen (especially now, with the dollar to pound exchange rate), and her service is exceptional - from Brooklyn to Newcastle upon Tyne in a week - during the UK's postal strike as well. Lovely lady, good range, and good prices - AND she'll wind you custom sized balls as well, which is great, if, like me, you're not very good at joins...

More Lace News - I won Piglottie's Lace Booty Auction, in aid of her friend Charlotte's charity trek to Peru for the Rainbow Trust. And what booty it is, too - a Fiber Trends Leaf Lace Shawl pattern, enough Fyberspates Laceweight in Ocean to complete the shawl, three fab Piglottie Productions cards, and a lovely little bag, which is the perfect size for a sock project. So thank you Piglottie, and GO CHARLOTTE!!!!

Finally on Knitting News, I've cast on again... I tried Pomotamus, I did, but have put them aside for now. I don't know if it's me, or the pattern, or the wool (not likely, as I love Fyberspates wool), but it's not gelling, so not for me for now. Maybe later, I'll be in the right mood. What I am getting on with, is the Tyrolean Stockings from Interweave Fall 2007. I'm using Posh Yarns Helena in Myrtle, and they're looking lovely to me - they look like snuggly winter socks, and the weather is putting me in mind of snuggles, and wrapping up.

And in non-knitting news, I've been somewhere I've never been before. I was sent to Finland for work, which was great - My main problem was getting there. I'm a very nervous flyer - I panic about it, and can't help it. But KLM and FinnComm looked after me without any drama. All 6 planes on time, and the flights were even quite enjoyable. But I have to admit that my favourite sound on a plane is "Welcome to Newcastle". I found the Moomin Shop, and now have Moomintroll hanging off my phone. I also discovered a new range of alcoholic drinks to enjoy - Finnish Vodka with Arctic Cloudberry Juice was very moreish, and I have brought home Licorice Vodka (yummy) and Tar Schapps (made from the sap of a tree in Finland, and tastes like alcoholic BBQ sauce). And Stroopwafelen from Schiphol (can't go through there without picking up a box - even though they do sell them in Lakeland, it's not the same). What I saw of Finland from the local plane looked beautiful - forests and lakes in abundance, but what I saw on the ground was largely hotel, factory and airport. I shall definitely book some holiday if I am lucky enough to go there again.


Then last weekend, I drove up to Eyemouth, and we had a lovely Sunday. Fish and Chips on the front, and a nice wander - and (the reason why we went) a chance to feed the seals in the harbour. I'll leave you with one of our new friends for now - if anyone's still reading the marathon entry!





9 comments:

Louisa said...

All your shawls are lovely, Claire! And I'm so envious of your Moomintroll. I never knew there was a store for them! I don't get out much. LOL!!

florencemary said...

Wow, you've got so much finished! It's great to see your Hanami stole - it looks stunning. I loved every minute of knitting mine and I certainly plan to knit another one. And the Icelandic shawl as well! Phew.

ps Enjoy the booze! Hic.

Piglottie said...

I have lace envy :) Wish I could get on with laceweight, but I despair of it. I love the Basket Weave, both in design and meaning. And thank you for helping me fundraise. Charlotte will be in the midst of some Peruvian jungle atm so I hope all is going well.

And now, on top of lace envy, I have Moomin envy. You have a Moomintroll!!!

SueJ said...

I have just found your blog -what wonderful finished knits! The shawls are stunning.

Joanna said...

Love the Hanami, my sp10 sent me the pattern and I've been considering knitting it as a narrower scarf, infact all your knits are lovely, and great tales of your travels to Finland, I'd love to go there, and seals in the harbour...I did read to the end!

artyfartykat said...

What beautiful FO's and a gorgeous seal too! What more can we ask for! Except a Moomintroll of course!

Artis-Anne said...

Goodness me so many lovlies in one post. Both shawls are stunning, hard to choose which one I prefer. Funnily enough I have been thinking about buying off Sarah for a while now and you have just confirmed her good service.
You certainly have been busy and you got a closer photo of a seal than I did too;) & been to Finland and had those yummy sounding beverages. Oh I am green with envy & then you win a prize too ? You so deserve it hun:)

Woolfish said...

Your shawls are lovely, I have just started-or about to start one with the yahoo kal secret of the stole. I noticed you were in Eyemouth, they do great Fish and Chips there don't they.I used to go to school in Eyemouth. Next time you go you must come and say hello, I have a 'wee' shop near St Abbs. Loved reading your blog
Louise

Trudie said...

Oh, we used to buy chips from the Eyemouth chippie and sit and eat them watching those seals!! I miss that.