Tuesday 13 November 2007

Lucky, lucky me!

Although I wasn't thinking that until just now... This weekend, the kitchen tap jammed. Solid. All the wrenches, hammers and WD40 in the world wouldn't do. So Jon looked under the sink, and was a bit wobbly about well maybe he could, but then again... We had no hot water to the kitchen sink - this was not a disaster, there was hot water in the bathroom, we have a kettle - but then he took the cold tap apart, to see how it all went together, and then that started to dribble... And so we managed to fiddle on, and got back to just being the hot tap broken. So the plumber's been today and put two new taps on. Uck.

And then the car. I'm a proper girl when it comes to the car. I just drive it, and put petrol in when it needs it, and, um, that's about it. And it wouldn't start. Lights on, nothing turning. I think it's the starter motor, but I'm not sure. So my lovely man from CB Motors in Cramlington, who has kept that car going against the odds, and is fab, and doesn't overcharge me has been round this morning and took it away to try to fix. So I'm on the bus to work this week, which is icky. Crowded, smelly, noisy and slow. But only £10 for a week's travel... However, I need to be somewhere tonight where I could have been in an hour from work in the car. But can't, as it involves at least 2 buses, and they don't go from the same area of town - so there's a 10 minute walk in the middle. So to heck with it - I've taken a half day, which is why I'm here blogging, not working.

So how is all this lucky? Well - it's not been too much hardship - I've got working taps, the car will be sorted (this man works miracles), and the buses aren't too bad if I organise myself (I'm missing knitting group tomorrow, as there's no way I can get there without a car, as there are precious few buses after tea time, and I'd rather not wait at a stop on an industrial estate, in the dark - but I can cope with that). The wonderful, glorious, unbelievable thing that has happened is that I have arrived home to two, 6th row tickets to see Thunder in a couple of weeks! Yay! For some reason I didn't hear about the tour (boo) and by the time I did, the only tickets were right up at the top of the back balcony, where I'd have trouble seeing. So, desperate, I entered a competition on Planet Rock, and I must have won! I've seen Thunder many times over the years, and they always, always, put on a good show, bless them.

And I have finished Clapotis - just in time for the cold snap! And also my second felt ruffle bag for Christmas. Royal Snail is still holding onto all my parcels, though...

2 comments:

Piglottie said...

Silver linings eh :) Glad you got the tickets, and glad you got the other stuff sorted too. Would love to see pics of your clapotis.

acrylik said...

Planet Rock are the best! I've won two pairs of tickets from them this year :) Hope you have an amazing time at the show.

Hope your car's all better now.