Wednesday 23 January 2008

Being Fearless

So. I have signed up to Knitting Daily's Fearless Knitters, as I am guilty of sitting in my comfort zone. Too many projects have passed me by because "I could never..." 2008 is going to be a year where that is banned. I can be fearless. I can! I hate heights, yet have abseiled down both the Dental Hospital in Newcastle (100 feet) in the snow - including ending up hanging upside down on the end of a rope because I was listening intently to what the very nice gentleman at the top was telling me, and he hadn't said anything about moving my feet - with a medial ligament injury to boot, and also the Baltic Art Gallery in Gateshead (150 feet). On the Baltic, it actually didn't feel as scary - there was scaffolding up on the edge, so I climbed on that, then I could hold onto that, and feel the rope take my weight before I went scooting down (and scoot I did - Jon has the video evidence that what goes up, does come down - fast!). The Dental Hospital was a leap of faith - stand on the edge, and lean back, and go. The funniest bit of the video evidence is when Jon doesn't realise our camera does sound - on the Baltic, there is "Don't die on me" which is sweet, until you realise the batteries were low, and, more like him, over the Dental Hospital is something about needing a wide angle lens as I drop into view, bottom first.

But, you see, I am avoiding the topic. So. How am I going to be fearless?
  • I will "do" a sock with Magic Loop. Never tried it before, and been avoiding it, just in case I can't.
  • I will knit something ambitious from A Gathering of Lace, which so far, has been a "look book".
  • I will design and knit a pair of socks - and show the results on this blog.

I have just received the right yarn for this as well - 2 skeins of delightful "Fearless Fibers" sock yarn, one each of Lust and Imagine. Anne Hanson often mentions it, and wow - it's worth waiting all of one week for it to arrive from the USA (a WEEK - it can take longer for stuff to be posted from the next town - does Deb use a tardis for a post office?). And I also have some lovely sock yarn in "Wicked Vampirella" from Gemini Knits, and also some Blackcurrant Lacweight - again from Gemini Knits. The lovely Piglottie enabled me here - she has mentioned Gemini Knits before, and I went to look - and I KNOW you look with your eyes, but I ended up looking with my credit card... Both Gemini Knits and Fearless Fibers are on Etsy, which I love.

So - hold me to my fearless pledge - or make me take the button off my blog!

4 comments:

acrylik said...

Yay! Here's to you being fearless, I know you can do it! Loved hearing all about your abseiling adventures.

Can't wait to see more of your sock design as it progresses, it would be great to see your progress work and workings out on your blog too, as I find that very interesting. Good luck!

Piglottie said...

Yeah for being Fearless! I will try to overcome my fear this year of colourwork. Glad I helped you find some delicious new year :)

Artis-Anne said...

Think I'd rather knit majic loop and lace than abseil this year LOL. Good luck with your fearless knitting and I shall watch from the sidelines and cheer you on. Ohhh must check out the Etsy stores......like I need more yarn !!?

periwinkle said...

Hi, have just found your Blog after doing a search for " Ring a Rosie" in Whitley Bay. Can you tell me does it just sell yarn or does it sell materials and things to do with patchwork--Thank you Lisa x