Thursday 1 July 2010

A Week in Heaven


I love the Lake District. The hills, the lakes, the get-away-from-it-all feeling, and the grounded feeling I get from being back in the North West of England make it one of my favourite places in the world.
A few years ago, OH and I treated ourselves to a few days away to celebrate having been together ten years without either one of us killing the other. We went here, which is on the southern shores of Derwentwater, down the Borrowdale Road, and we vowed to go back. To cut a long story short, life ended up in the way, but when I was stuck for inspiration for OH's birthday this year, I remembered how much we'd enjoyed it, and booked us a blissful weekend.
And with the Ash Cloud, and the pound somewhere in the basement, and because I've been away a fair bit with work, we decided to holiday in the UK this year - and booked for 5 nights at the hotel.
Funny, isn't it, that we checked out just as Woolfest started? With it only being 20 minutes away?
It was a completely relaxing few days, during which we walked, drank good beer (bringing 23 bottles home with us!), ate wonderful food, and completely relaxed. We managed to pack it in, for all we relaxed, visiting Crummock Water, Buttermere, Loweswater, Grasmere, Hawkshead, Coniston, Keswick, the Ospreys at Bassenthwaite, and then a gentle 10 mile wander to Threlkeld (and a truly excellent pub) coming back via the stone circle at Castlerigg.
Pure Bliss. With sheep in the garden!
Woolfest tomorrow!

1 comment:

Ambermoggie, a fragrant soul said...

glad you had a good holiday, the Lakes always relax me when I'm there