Monday 17 November 2008

Mixtures

It's been a mixed few days... First, the good - I'm off work! Loads of knitting and spinning time! I'm also going to sort out my stash, and possibly have a cleansing destash, or possibly not.
On Friday, I went to my friend Carrie Anne's house for a play evening, and had a lovely time. Four of us were there, and we knitted and spun and chatted, and petted Willow and Ash the cats, and ate pizza and nibbles. Carrie Anne had her wheel, and had set up her Heddle Loom. The wheel I was hopeless on. Great at "unspinning", but it was a bit too much like patting my head and rubbing my tummy! I think I'll stick with spindles! The loom was a different story - I found it very hypnotic and relaxing, and was really pleased with my contribution to the woven cloth. It was just a lovely evening, and Carrie Anne was a great hostess.
Then today, I visited Ros for a morning of knitting, spindling and chatter. Patti was also there, and it was just nice to relax over a cuppa tea. And Ros' daschunds are absoloutely gorgeous - Millie and Maisie. If only Jon wasn't allergic to dogs, and if Holly wasn't psychotic, I could be very tempted.
But as always, once I start to enjoy myself, the rain falls. I had a letter from the hospital today. And I quote:
"Your MRI cervical spine does show a small disc which probably accounts for your symptoms. It is likely that only conservative management is appropriate as usually in these circumstances things settle on their own, but perhaps I could review me myself in clinic to discuss things further."
After reading it a few times, Jon and I have translated it to mean "Yep - there's something out of line in there, but I'm not the one in pain, and if you ignore it, perhaps it may go away. I may have a little time to patronise you if you care to ring".
Oh boy. Is he in for a shock. I am in pain. I am not sleeping without prescription painkillers. This has been going on since April. I am paying him, via my NI every month, so he can firstly, stop talking down to me, and secondly, give me some constructive advice on how to sort it out so it doesn't feel like someone's going to rip my arm off. If he had cared to ask, in the 4 months since I have seen him, then I would have told him that the situation has deteriorated. And he thinks it will resolve itself? I am steeling myself for a frustrating conversation on the phone tomorrow. And then for a face off in his office. I shall be perfectly polite, however, he will have to do something. One card I have up my sleeve is that my company does private health care. So I can play that one, and also the one where I am persistent as heck, and have no fear of bureaucracy - yes - the NHS Complaints Procedure.
To Battle!

1 comment:

acrylik said...

It was lovely to see you on Friday, glad you had a good time. Feel free to drop by any time to play on the loom!

It seems just about everyone I know has had problems with the NHS in the last few years, myself included. It's so frustrating. Seems it's about time for a bit of people power. I know you won't take this lying down - they won't know what's hit them!