Friday 16 January 2009

Dyeing Days

Back at Woolfest, in June, I caved and bought a Kool Aid Sock Dyeing Kit from DT Craft and Design. I've never dyed before, but Debbie was very persuasive, lol. So on Tuesday night, armed with my kit, and my Twisted Sisters Sock Workbook by Lynne Vogel, I went into the kitchen. First I soaked 100g of Alpaca sock yarn in some water with a little squirt of washing up liquid.
Soaking
Then, after leaving it an hour or so, I squeezed the excess water out, and made up a solution of Lemon and Lime mixed with Lemonade in about 700ml of water. I dropped the yarn in there, and left it until the water went clear, and the yarn went green.
LemonLime
Then, I mixed up some Orange, and dipped one end of the yarn into that.
Orange
This portion of the yarn went gold. Following the orange, I repeated with Strawberry and then 2 packs of Grape, overlapping the sections.
Then I rinsed, and cooked the yarn in the microwave.
And hung it up to dry...
Jan13
Finally, I skeined it up, and took a photo of it all finished.
Jan16
I thought Kool Aid would give really bright colours, but I'm very pleasantly surprised at the softness of them. I think this is going to be a shawlette of some description.
So... This week I have completed 2 things I have never done before... Published a pattern, and dyed a skein of yarn.

NEXT!

3 comments:

Ambermoggie, a fragrant soul said...

fabulous:) Well done you

acrylik said...

That's a beautiful skein of yarn, love those colours. Well done you!

BabyLongLegs said...

Looks great!!!
Alpaca doen't take dye as strongly as say a merino yarn.....
Try a superwash merino next......you'll ba amazed at the depth of colour!!!

S xXxraninda