Monday 5 January 2009

French Lessons

I am very bad with languages. I have O'Levels in French and German, and a smattering of various others (mainly picked up so I didn't embarrass myself too much on holidays and business trips - the most embarrassing moment I have had being trying to mime out something I wanted in a shop in Milan - I'm a quarter Italian, for goodness sake! - although that was a giggle for both me and the lovely man in the shop), but it isn't something I have ever actively kept up. I work for a French company, so deal with people in France who speak English beautifully.
So when work offered me the chance to take beginners' French classes for an hour a week, I jumped at the chance. The first lesson was tonight, and I'm pleased to say that so far, so good. I've not learned anything completely new, but I have recalled a lot of information that's hidden away. That's good, because hopefully I can ease into it, and start relearning what I have completely forgotten, and recall what's still in my mind. I don't expect to be fluent within the year (or even 2 or 10), but hopefully I'll be able to understand what people are saying, and leave "Parlez-vous Anglais, s'il vous plait?" at home when in France.
I've also taken some knitting pictures. The first is a current WIP - the White Queen's Bag by Lynda Sorenson of Lilypad Knits.
GreenQueen1
I'm finding it a well written pattern, and must thank Taliesin on Ravelry (here's her blog) for the enablement.
I've also photographed La Novia, which I love - Manos Silk Blend, 5.5mm needles, and a quick knit from the ever-impressive (and lovely) Anne Hanson.
LaNovia
Jan5
What a scrummy, textured pattern... The second photo is also todays Project 365 photo, so a sneak preview, too!

2 comments:

acrylik said...

Beautiful knits, and beautiful yarns to go with them, too!

Great news on the French! (A flashback of the riots in Mr Dixon's classes just came to me there!) Have you seen the BBC's language page? It's got lots of good resources and there's a nice 12 step programme there too, as a little extra to your classes.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/languages/
Have fun!

Artis-Anne said...

Yet more great knits with yummy yarns . Good luck with re-learning French , I used to be quite good at it but haven't been to France for ten years now so I figure I would be very rusty , so I will just stick to Welsh and English :)